Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pets

People love their pets and love to spoil them, but the essentials for pets do not cost a fortune if you know where to buy. I have cats so some of this may be geared toward cats, but much of it will apply to dogs and cats alike.

1. Food - We personally buy cat food from Costco. We get a 25 lb bag for $17.99 of dry food! I am not sure how much dog food runs, but I bet it is a great deal as well. My vet said Kirkland cat food is comparable to other top name brands, and my cats love it! For 30 lbs of cheap Meow Mix, you will pay  $21.78 at Walmart (or $18.15 for 25 lbs which is almost the same price as Kirkland but not as good of quality).

2. Cat litter - Cat litter at Costco is also a great value and great quality as well. It runs $8.79 for 35 lbs of litter! Compared to the price at stores like Walmart, that is great! At Walmart, you can get 38 lbs of Fresh Step for $15.97 (equivalent to $14.70 for 35 lbs) or 20 lbs of Tidy Cat for $6.98 (would run you $12.22 for 35 lbs).

3. Routine vaccinations - We have taken our cats to Texas Coalition for Animal Protection (TCAP) for affordable vaccinations. They do a great job, and you just can't beat the price. You do not need to be low income or a specific city resident to qualify. You will not have to pay for an office visit - just the price listed. For example, a rabies shot will cost $5 for a cat or a dog. If you do not live in Texas, I am sure you can find a similar organization nearby.

4. Spays and Neuters - I also recommend Texas Animal Coalition or a similar organization for this as well. It is VERY important to spay and neuter. :) I have provided the prices for spays and neuters below or you can click the link for more details. This procedure will probably run you $100-$200 at a regular animal clinic.

Cats: Female - $45; Male - $35
Dogs: Under 50 lbs. - $55; 50-80 lbs. - $65

5. Initial purchase of a pet - I can get a little passionate in this area, but I do not understand buying from breeders. I will not go into it much, but beyond the obvious financial standpoint, when you adopt, you save a life. My local animal shelter has an adoption fee of $55 for cats and $85 for dogs. This includes vaccinations, spay or neuter, and a microchip! I got one of my cats for $30 when they were running a summer special. ;)

These are just a few ways I save on regular items for my kitties. Of course I added some pictures of my cats for your enjoyment.


 Lily
 Pixie


No comments:

Post a Comment