Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Cell Phone Bills

Everyone hates getting the cell phone bill each month because it always seems like so much money for what you get. I will share what type of plan we use because I believe it is a great value.

We have T-mobile with three lines and get unlimited talk and text and 1GB of data each - all for $115 after taxes and fees. Before my husband and I got married, I had AT&T with my parents. I was hesitant to switch to T-mobile because AT&T always seems to have great service, and I had not heard the same about T-mobile. I am happy to say that the service with T-mobile has been fantastic. So if you are thinking about switching, go for it. They will even pay your cancellation fee to your current provider.

Another way to cut your bills besides switching to a less expensive carrier is how you choose to purchase your device. It is cheaper to buy a cell phone off contract. Companies like to get you with the "get a new phone for $1!" scheme. Well, they build payments into your bill from then on and you are tied down with a contract. My husband and I personally use the Nexus 4 phone from Google. I got mine brand new for $200 and it is working great after a year.

Don't forget that many employers offer employee cell phone discounts. Check with your employer to see if you have anything like that with your company. Usually, this will provide a percentage off of your total bill - for example, 10% off.

Here are a few extra tips:

1. Don't purchase more data than you need. It costs more for more data. If you never use it all, consider reducing your data package.

2. To get a better deal on a phone off contract, buy it when a new version of the phone comes out. My husband bought his Nexus 4 in July 2013. a couple weeks later the Nexus 5 came out and the price dropped to $200. Great buy for us! Right now, you can grab the Nexus 5 for $349. Not bad for a high end cell phone. I am sure you can find something in your price range if you shop around. You can even try craigslist or some type of resale website.

I hope these ideas help!



No comments:

Post a Comment